Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover data from Incomplete Tape set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteWiz

MIS
Jan 29, 2001
CA
Is it possible to recover any data from an incomplete tape set? I scan all my tapes but scanner wants more. This is a very old save set so the tape is undoubtedly lost.

C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\bin>scanner -i -m -q -S 47563 \\.\Tape2
scanner: scanning dlt7000 tape 000118 on \\.\Tape2
scanner: dlt7000 tape 000118 already exists in the media index
scanner: ssid 47563: NOT complete
scanner: ssid 47563: 7792 KB, 30 file(s)
scanner: the following save sets continue on another volume:
client name save set save time level size files ssid S
mv90svr.lond F:\ 12/28/01 17:00 f 7978816 30 47563 S
scanner: when next volume is ready, enter device name (or `q' to quit) [\\.\Tape
2]?

Is it possible to recover data from Incomplete tape set?

Hello Steve,

Here is the procedure that I spoke of on the telephone:

You can recover data from an incomplete save set. This method is not supported by Legato Systems and will only work under the following circumstances:

1. The files system of the backed up data is the same as the file system you are running the scanner command on.

2. The operating system you are running the scanner command on is the same as operating system where the data originated from.

3. The data being recovered cannot have been saved using any of the NetWorker Modules (e.g. NetWorker Exchange Module)

Procedure:

1. Query the media database to find the save set ID, volume and save set name you want to recover 2. Load the volume into a tape drive 3. Run the following scanner command:

scanner -S (Save_set_ID) (Device_path) | uasm -rv -m (Original_save_set_name)=(Destination_path)

or

scanner -S (Save_set_ID) (Device_path) -x uasm -rv -m (Original_save_set_name)=(Destination_path)

Regards

Why do you make it so complicated? A standard save set recover would do the job - it will just need to stop when it
reached the end of media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back