Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover Data from a ghosted drive???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2001
US
I need to recover data from a drive that was ghosted. I was trying to ghost a completed working ststem to another BLANK drive. But I screwed up and put the blank drive on the good system. Any one know of a way to recover the data from the NOW blank drive? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

butchrecon,

I seems that you have done the one thing that I fear the most when using Ghost. I don't think that the data is recoverable because it wasn't just flagged as deleted but acually overwitten with blank tracks (something like a zero fill). If the blank (source) drive was formated, I would guess that it would be the same as formating over the data. I don't know of any way to get it back. You might try contacting Symantec. Good luck!

There has to be a way to recover the data for I have seen soemwhere (I dont remember where) that there was software that could recover data from a formatted drive. Formatting does not kil the data. The data is still there. The track the data is on is just remarked for use. I have read and heard of programs that can recover the data from these remarked tracks. I just cant remember and need some assistance. But thanks for your reply. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

maybe unformat. maybe norton unerase. You probably need to put this on a DOS based system and see what the FAT looks like. If it was rewritten , you've mostly bought the farm. You might be able to rebuild some files, but it will be a tedious manual effort. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I only think The MBR was rewritten. the ghost ended in seconds so the data area itself was untouched. So the issue is the data areas. I will look into unformat. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

I suspect that you lost /mbr, the fats, and the directory structure. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

True, But the file integrity remains. I just need to find one utility that can help me recover those files due to format and/or fdisk and a ghosted image. I understand that if the data area is over written I lost that data. But as I stated I am sure the data are was not over written. Ghost took like 5 seconds and it was complete, on a 20 gig hdd so I am sure the data areas are intact. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

do a google search for data recovery. There are bunches of stuff out there.
I sure am glad I'm not having to do it. Good luck. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Its not fun! i made a mistake with my ghost image and now I have to pay for it. :-( James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Hello! butchrecon (MIS)

I think Munir-Ul-Islam's software for data recovery will do the job for you. I have tested it and fully recovered my hard drive which was effected by CIH virus.

I will send you its url later in a day or two.

You can contact me on : isons@softhome.net

Best regards,

Nadeem Ismail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back