Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover data beyond browse and retentivity 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intervoice123

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2006
US
Hello guys
I need to recover data for a file server. The browse and retentivity has expired.
I ran #nscrk -L7 -t 10/2/2004 clientname and got the tape info. I have the tape. Now how do I inventory the tape as it may show it as blank. So I ran mminfo to get the ssid like this
#mminfo -avot -s servername -c clientname
but it seems to be taking forever to execute. Is there a way to run the scanner command without the ssid?.
The client name is still the same but IP & FQDN has changed. Shortname is still the same. Will I still be able to recover.
Thx for your time.
Ragu

You can run scanner and point it to a specific client. This will ofcourse take a bit longer than using the ssid. Just load the tape and run "scanner -i -c clientname device" where "device" is the drive in which the tape has been loaded. That should do the trick. If the client definition is still intact, and it is named as it was at the time of backup, this should work fine. You might later need to add the old FQDN name to the aliases field for the restore itself to work.

Cheers!
Maverick

If you found the tape info in the media index the save set info should also be there. Consequently, there is no need to scan it.

If you enter the new FQDN in the alias list of the client, it should be fine.

You should be able to get all SSIDs by running
mminfo -q "volume=your_volume_name" - r "savetime,ssid,name".

Them recover the save set to a temporary directory and get your file(s) from there. And this is also only a single-read process. But you can still scan it, of course.

Thansk Guys. I was able to recover the step using the tips provided. Bye
Ragu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back