Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recover Cd Prod Key from PC that wont reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddickers

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2003
I have a PC that won't reboot and I need to recover the cd prod key so that I can run a repair.

Thanks
Don

A conundrum. I think your best bet is to try to get in from another computer. Otherwise try windows restore, which I don't think requires a key.

In future let me suggest getting a copy of Belarc Advisor (I am sure there are more, but it works very nicely) and running it now and then for a printable record of most keys and codes. It's free. Just google it.

I am repairing a customer's PC, so I don't have any past records.

I am able to boot the PC with a Bart PE, and I already performed a restore point to an earlier date with no joy. I was hoping that someone would know of a way that I can locate and ID the prod key either from the registry or someplace else. Jellybean I don't think would work, because the PC is booted from a BartPE CD.

Any other thoughts would be great!
Thanks

Anything written on any label on the computer tower itself?

The label on this PC is a label for XP Home edition, and it has previously been updated to XP Pro.

I have a bartPE cd with keyfinder installed on it, I believe, but in the past, it never returned the key, but I will try it again.

Thanks

Silly question - but why hasn't your customer made a note of CD key - or even, if it was legit upgrade, why no XP Pro sticker on the machine too?

Thanks firewolf!
I have already given up this time and did a clean install on this laptop, but I will play around with the utility that you sent me to. There will always be another time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back