Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recover an Index?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khyron

Technical User
Nov 21, 2000
CA
Hi,

Running Legato 5.7 - its been working fine until 3 days ago when one of the giant index files vanished.

I've seen instructions to restore it with

nsrck -L 7 clientname

but that doesn't work in 5.7 (there's no -L switch)

I tried restoring the index files as a client restore from the backup server (browsed back a week, went to the index dir) and there is nothing there - nothing on ANY of my clients. I assume this means either I can't restore indexes from the client, or somehow the indexes are not being backed up. The admin manual for 5.7 says jack about restoring client indexes. :(

Help,

Thanks,

Khyron

You can restore it with nsrck -c clientname on 5.7, but of course it will be empty.

Recovering a previous version should be possible using the method you describe, which was running a recover from the client and browsing back. Let it rename the directory on the restore, then shut down networker services and copy the index into place.

If you have NO client indexes on there, you must be doing something wrong, but I have no idea what that would be.

Hrm - I was on the Networker server using the client restore to get the missing index back. (which was empty).

Are you saying I need to go to the client (as in, go to the missing machine and run recover from there?)

Thanks for the reply,

Khyron

You should be at the server running the client gui. My server is down right doing the upgrade from 5.7 to 6.1, but I looked on my test server and I was able to drill down to the client indexes.

The only thing I can think of is that you have a directive in there that skips your index directory. If you do, then there is no way to recover.

I thought that too - but checking the directives shows the whole disk checked - and when I go to the indexes they are all checked as well.

We renewed our support contract with Legato today, mainly because of this, so maybe they will have some ideas. Something is obviously very wrong if I can't see the indexes in the client listing of files - even if I go back a month.

We may upgrade to 6.1 as well - post if it all goes smooth or if there's major problems. :)

Thanks,

Khyron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back