Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recordsets and connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejam

Technical User
Jan 6, 2004
GB
hi all,

Fairly new to vb.net and visual basic at .net level.

I want to validate a username to check for duplicates, i have a sproc setup to return 'dup' or a record if exists, this accepts the username.

I have a connection string set within the database and already use information from that for datagrids and dropdowns but nows struggling with a more adhoc data retrieval into recordset to analyse.

I will need to use this greatly later on as i prefer to edit data in unbound forms, validate and submit in code so recordsets are very much on my agenda, just need to master it in vb.net.

i'd rather not have to create a new connection string as i will then have to manage these in the two different areas!

any help, pointers or links are greatly appreciated as progress feels extremely slow right now!!!

thankyou

daveJam

it works on my machine, so technically i win!

If I understand you correctly you have a connection string in the database and you wish to use that. How do you obtain the connection string in the database from your application?

If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

If you are going to use vb.net. Use the app.config file for your connection string. Use the ado.net (datareader, datatable ect.) Not the legacy vb6 ado.

Ordinary Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back