Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recordset with Select As Columns not Editable

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTechMan

Programmer
Jun 15, 2009
CA
I thought I would post this here to see if anyone has run into this issue.

If someone could help me out here it would be great! I am doing some work moving a vb6 app from DB2 to SQL Server. Inside the app is a query such as this:

Code:
Select readcol1, realcol2, 0 as fictitionalcol, 0 as fictitionalcol from table where criteria = X

The issue is that DB2 didn't care about the fictitious columns it seems while SQL Server does, it seems to know that they are not in the db table and renders them read only I think. I may be out to lunch. Oh, these cols are in a disconnected recordset.

Any guidance on whether this is true or not and a work around would be great!

If they're ficticious columns, why do you want to update them?

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
Carter, hand me my thinking grenades!

You can hang outside in the sun all day tossing a ball around, or you can sit at your computer and do something that matters. - Eric Cartman

Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244: How to get the best answers before posting.

If it's a disconnected recordset I believe you should be able to dynamincally add columns to the recordset. You could do that instead of including them in the SELECT statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back