Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recordset not updatable

Status
Not open for further replies.

taubate

Programmer
Jun 29, 2001
US
I am working with a Acc2000 front end with a acc97 data back end. All files are not read-only. I came across this problem when a data displayed on an acc2000 form could not be updated. The Dynaset property has been set to inconsistent update and nothing improved. Yet, "recordset not updatable" still shows up. There are queries that use DISTINCTROW.

Can anyone shed light? Thanks!

taubate -

There are any number of reasons why a recordset or query may not be updateable. Is your recordset based on multiple tables? If you are using DISTINCT - i.e. show only unique records - your dataset will by definition NOT be updateable.

Think about it.

If the "Show Only Unique Recordes" hypothetically represents more than one underlying record. Access has no idea which of the underlying records you want to change Thus, the recordset is not updateable.

I do not know what it is that you are trying to accomplish. Suggest you search HELP on "Recordset not Updateable". You'll get a whole host of situations.

We see this behaviour - often. There are a few different reasons... First, set your FORM property - Recordset type to [Dynaset-Inconsistent Update]. There are good refernces on Microsoft Technet with this issue as well.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back