Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

records disappearing from table

Status
Not open for further replies.

frebev

Programmer
Mar 12, 2003
BE
I have the following unbelievable problem:
from time to time records are simply disappearing out of a certain table. The are not deleted, nor has there been done any pack in the meantime. It's not a question of indexing either since I browsed the table without index.
The are simply "gone".

I'm using VFP 5 on a W2000 network
Anyone had the same experience / a clue what can be happening?

Any idea would be appreciated.

wilfredo

I would do the following in the command window:

Select MyTable
set filter to
set order to
set deleted off
Browse

...if the records are still just gone, I would question whether they were ever there to begin with, and by that I mean, they may have been in a buffer not in the physical table on the disk or you don't have the table buffered and some reason the data isn't getting flushed to the disk...in that latter case I would do an explicit FLUSH after a record is added to make sure it is written to the disk. Slighthaze = NULL

thanks slighthaze, but the particular record has been in use since more than a year (is is a record in an addressbook which is used in invoicing, filecreating, transport, and whatever). Furthermore it is not the first one that "dissappears" but on previous occasions (2 or 3) I thought about delete / pack. In this case I am however 1000% sure this is not the case. 2 days ago it was still existing and since then no Pack has been done.

I'm programming in Fox since 1986 and I've never experienced such an unexplainable behaviour.

Anyway, thanks for the reaction.

wilfredo

Could it be that the same record has been replaced by another record or a new record? Ali Koumaiha
TeknoSoft Inc
Farmington Hills, Michigan

Ali, thanks for your contribution but NO: apart of browsing manually through the whole table I checked on $code, $name, $addresses and every other possible way I could think off but ... simply gone.

wilfredo

Your problem appears more systemic than what I am relating, but I recently had a problem where somehow an index entry was changed to UNIQUE???

Thanks Allan but the first thing I tried was REINDEX (without any UNIQUE involved)

It just is a mystery

wilfredo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back