Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Records Details update File Number 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tektipsuser100

Programmer
Jun 14, 2019
CA
I am trying to update the File Number in the 'Records Details' of a document in the Content Server using Java livelink api. My question is, do the File Number and the Classification have a one to one relationship between them?
I am able to update the classification which automatically updates the File Number with the below code, but not the other way(not able to update the file number directly).
recManClient.rmApplyClassification(nodeID, Long.parseLong(newClassificationID), null, null);

Appreciate your help.
Thanks!

The File Number is a Configuration Item. If you create an RM Classification at the Root for purposes of explanation I will use an example. There is a simple code that you can do at the start of a Hierarchical Classification other than the parent which is a Classification Tree. So my classifications for the US goes like this

Records Classification By Country(Note this is the Classification Tree )
-> USA
-> CANADA

When I create a Classification for the USA the System as me what FileNumber should I assign. Assume for abbreviations I used the US and CAN for Canada
Then I would create a Child called Legal so now the Hierarchy is actually USA->Legal if I give LEG as an abbreviation and one more than to have some clarity
and call it Compliance - Court or Agency Orders and make that a selectable classification. The reason why we make hierarchies is for efficiencies of scale and based on each country
RM rules. For example, US Govt publishes schedules for perhaps emails, invoices, etc. So ultimately all this does is tag a particular piece of electronic or physical content and assign a time or event to aid in its destruction. So if FileNumber is to be changed it has to move the classification as well correctly so ask your RM team what they are after.

In this example, my File Number for Compliance - Court or Agency Orders would look like USA-LEG-5030(the dash is configurable with some people using /) so when an RM person looks at it it will tell that person H.mm it's a legal thing and automatically they will know the FilePlan and say h' mm that Document I supposed to be kept indefinitely or extinguished in about 5 years.

Note there's no standardization in these things organizations like Skupsky, AIIM all try to get RM people to agree about things but the only thing that is kind of standard is what governments publish, they will say that all invoices pertaining should be kept that much or an employee record has to be kept X years after termination. When I started out about 13 years in RM everyone was raving about hierarchical classifications, then everyone switched to flat to accommodate I think $carepoint I don't know the consensus. currently but there might be a method to the madness.

Like I said to check what's in their mind as far as code is concerned I am pretty sure Oscript can do it,

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

Thank you appnair for the very detailed reply. What I learnt from our Content Server person is that the classification and the file number do have a one to one relationship. And I should be able to update both. The error I am getting while trying to update the filenumber is below:
RMClassDefInfo classfn = recManClient.rmGetClassificationInfo(nodeID);
throws the exception
com.sun.xml.internal.ws.fault.ServerSOAPFaultException: Client received SOAP Fault from server: Could not retrieve RM Classification information Please see the server log to find more detail regarding exact cause of the failure.
at com.sun.xml.internal.ws.fault.SOAP11Fault.getProtocolException(Unknown Source)

I am able to do the below though with out any error
RMAdditionalInfo b = recManClient.rmGetClassifyInfo(nodeID);

Could it be permission issue, but I am able to apply any classification as I mentioned in my previous post. So wonder why I am able to set a classification, but not able to retrieve the current classification.

Thank you!

Without looking at the API I think this is why you are getting the error

RMClassDefInfo classfn = recManClient.rmGetClassificationInfo(nodeID);

The parameter to that is not the NodeID where you see it applied but the actual RM Classification NodeID.Go to your RM Classification Tree and find a RM Classification
and using its DataID run that command.

Think of it like this You are Applying a RMClassification(this is a NodeID) to a Node like a Folder or Document(This is a NodeId but albeit different from the other)

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back