Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recording Proxy Use, Resolving IP>hostname to logfile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellooooooooo

Technical User
Oct 21, 2005
GB
Hello Everyone.

I have a lot of users at need access to the internet. We use a proxy address that is managed by a 3rd party company. A little while ago we had a problem with users that were not allowed access to the internet, using the "borrowed" proxy username and password of another user. Although this was stoppped and users warned of abusing the system, our new boss wants to make a scape goat out of someone for the use of other people proxy details.

This is causing a nightmare now with the admin guys and HR staff all wanting to be in on the witch hunt. While this witch hunt does not include me( I have no proxy access, just a plain old internet pc for doing my job)it has got me thinking.

When a user logs on they use a Username and password to authenticate onto the network.

If they have internet access, they have a separate proxy username and password.

All of the networked PC's use DHCP addressing on a 5 day lease.

How can I record the following information into a log file:

Network Username
Proxy Username
IP address
Netbios name.

As far as I can see the proxy Username and password are stored in a hashed file.

Is there any simple script to that I can load my IP address range into and let it run, with the outpute going to a logfile that shows the IP address and the resolved hostname?

At the end of this witch hunt I can see this being needed when someone uses the internet.

Any pointers, or will I just go round the offices and bash users untill they get the message they are not ment to be messing about.

Cheers All

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back