Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recording in SoundForge with SoundMAX..

Status
Not open for further replies.

basepointdesignz

Programmer
Jul 23, 2002
GB
Hi,

Bit of a long shot and i am posting this in several, including sony and soundmax forums if i can find them......

....I bought an old skool laptop from a friend, its an IBM ThinkPad T40 and it has SoundMAX as its internal sound drivers..

When i tried to record the sound from a DVD or CD, (ie record internal sound) there seems to be no levels no matter when settings i choose. I can hear playback, just cant record. Well, i say that but it does pick up the built-up mic on the laptop itself and records that, but a: there's no way fo turning the mic off, except for the level in the sound devices dialog and SoundMAX has virtually no options..

All I want to do is record some phrases, fx etc from dvds to use in my music..

As i said, its a bit of a longshot, but was just checking if anyone has / had the same issues or know what i'm doing wrong..

Cheers,

Paul
basepointdesignzltd..
XP Pro..
Pentium Core 2 Q6600 Quad Core
ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard
4GB DDR2 RAM
2 x SLI NVIDIA 8500GT SLi 1024MB DDR2 PCI-Express Graphics Cards

Have you tried going into ctrl panel,sounds and audio devices. Click the advanced button under volume. select options,properties. At mixer device, change to input. Bullet for recording should be marked, show the volume controls for area hopefully will have line,cd besides microphone. Check those, go back, into recording, turn up the volume for those areas, and try it out.

If still no joy, you can get a small stereo patch cord, and go from the mic output into the headphone jack. Not elegant, but it should work. :)

Your going about it completely the worng way. CD's are digital and so when your "record" you don't have levels in the old fashion sense.
What you actually need to do it rip the audio from the DVD / CD either as wav or mp3. Then use soundforge (or Audacity if you want a freebie) to cut the chunks out.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

For grabbing the files from DVDs for this, I'd suggest looking at a free program called DVDShrink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back