Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record with multiple sub categories 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleis

Technical User
Jun 4, 2000
US
Okay:

Lets say that I have a contact record stored in a table called "tblContact" and the field names are as follows:

Last Name
First Name
Title
Categories

This record can have multiple categories assigned to it such as:

Cat1
Cat2
Cat3
Cat4

My question is, what is the best way to store this category data? Should I store the various categories in my base table "tblContact" in a field seperated by commas? Outlook does this but uses "//" instead. . . . I believe.

Or should I . . .

Save these categories in a seperate table which is linked to the main table via an index; I then could create a "Group By" query on "tblContact"and then run a crossab over the secondary table containing the category information and join both queries together on the index field.

The end result that i'm looking for is the following which will feed the recordsource of a form and report.

LastName,FirstName,Title,Cat1,Cat2,Cat3,Cat4[/color blue]

Does any of this make sense?? can someone at least point me in the right direction? Me thinks that option 2 is a better approch than the 1st as I'm not sure how I would parse 1//2//3//4// or 1,2,3,4 into Cat1 Cat2 Cat3 Cat4

Many thanks!

Itch

Thanks! Sometime I get too close to the trees to see the forest.

Here is a star!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back