Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record Source Qualifier DBO??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichM1

Programmer
Jul 8, 2002
US
I have a database that I upsized to an ADP. I'm using Access 2003 and SQL Server 2000. When I connect to the database as an administrator everything is fine. The problem occurs when I login as a different user. For some reason reports and some stored procedures will not run but they are present. I think the problem is with the record source qualifier - in report properties. Some of the reports have DBO as the qualifier and some don't. Does anyone know what or how to use the record source qualifier and do I need DBO in every one???

Here is a fairly good article that explains dbo.

"The DBO user is always a member of the db_owner role, but not every user in the role is the user DBO."

Database objects are identified by a 4 part hierarchy.
servername.databasename.ownername.objectname
i.e. bigtuna.pubs.sam.authors
In this case sam is the database owner, and the name sam is mapped to his login. Anybody else needs to use dbo except the administrator account which is always a member of the databse owner.

Bottom line. Always prefix your objects in the ADP with dbo.
For example. dbo.yourtable or dbo.yourstoredprocedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back