Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record Saving and Updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

dctechuser

Technical User
Sep 11, 2009
US
I am having a problem getting my computer to know what is an update or save. My application is saving a record to the datebase and letting me update a record, but I want the computer to indicate the DateTimeModified as the current date of the change. I am using a Sequel Server 2005 database which has five tables. The Call/Issue table is the main table holding all of the records that are added using combo box fields for Issue, resolution, resolution time, and time fields. When I go back to make a change to one of the records previously added, the computer changes my DateTimeAdded field. I just want the DateTimeModified field to change not the DateTimeAdded Field. I want this field on the record to remain the original date that the record was added.

How can I manange the Combo Boxes to do what I want so the computer knows there is an update and not a saved record taking place?

My coding:

Public Class TechCallIssue
Dim NewPosition As Integer
Dim txtPosition1 As Integer
Dim Position As Integer

Dim SelectedPosition As Integer
Dim IsDirty As Boolean
Private Sub MainCallIssueBindingNavigatorSaveItem_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MainCallIssueBindingNavigatorSaveItem.Click

'If Me.IDTextBox.Text <= Position Then

MessageBox.Show("Record saved.")
Me.DateTimeAddedTextBox.Text = Date.Now()
Me.DateTimeModifiedTextBox.Text = Date.Now()
Me.TechnicianTextBox.Text = "G.Casto"
Me.UserAddedTextBox.Text = Me.TechnicianTextBox.Text
Me.UserModifiedTextBox.Text = Me.TechnicianTextBox.Text
Me.Validate()
Me.MainCallIssueBindingSource.EndEdit()
Me.MainCallIssueTableAdapter.Update(Me.ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.MainCallIssue)
Me.MainCallIssueTableAdapter.FillBy(Me.ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.MainCallIssue, TechnicianTextBox.Text)
Exit Sub

MessageBox.Show("Record updated.")
Me.DateTimeModifiedTextBox.Text = Date.Now()
Me.UserModifiedTextBox.Text = Me.TechnicianTextBox.Text

Me.Validate()
Me.MainCallIssueBindingSource.EndEdit()
Me.MainCallIssueTableAdapter.Update(Me.ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.MainCallIssue)
Me.MainCallIssueTableAdapter.FillBy(Me.ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.MainCallIssue, TechnicianTextBox.Text)

Exit Sub

End Sub

Private Sub TechCallIssue_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.Time' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
Me.TimeTableAdapter.Fill(Me.ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.Time)
'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.ResolutionTime' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
Me.ResolutionTimeTableAdapter.Fill(Me.ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.ResolutionTime)
'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.Resolution' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
Me.ResolutionTableAdapter.Fill(Me.ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.Resolution)
'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.Issue' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.
Me.IssueTableAdapter.Fill(Me.ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.Issue)
'TODO: This line of code loads data into the 'ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.MainCallIssue' table. You can move, or remove it, as needed.

Me.MainCallIssueTableAdapter.Fill(Me.ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.MainCallIssue)

Me.MainCallIssueTableAdapter.FillBy1(Me.ABC_Call_Issue_TrackingDataSet12.MainCallIssue, TechnicianTextBox.Text)
'Me.MainCallIssueBindingSource.AddNew()

Me.MainCallIssueBindingSource.MoveLast()
NewPosition = Me.MainCallIssueBindingSource.Position + 1
Position = Me.MainCallIssueBindingSource.Position
SelectedPosition = Me.MainCallIssueBindingSource.Position + 1
IsDirty = False

End Sub

I have a Details View and Data Grid View. The Details View has query that pulls open records based on the DateTimeAdded field. I want only those records less than 6 days old to show in the Details View and Data Grid View.

My Query:

Select ID, Issue, Resolution, ResolutionTime, DateTimeAdded, Time, Technician
Where Technician=@Technician
AND DateTimeAdded >= DATEDIFF(d, 0, GETDATE()-5)
AND DateTimeAdded < DATEDIFF(d, 0, GETDATE()+1)

This query is added to the Technician TextBox

DCTechUser

Where do I write the Update Triggers? I have the SQL management Studio. Do I write the Triggers like stored procedures under programmability? Also, How does the trigger run whben updates are performed?

You write the triggers in an application which can send T-SQL queries and commands to a database, such as Management Studio. The benefit of using triggers is that the tables are not reliant upon every application which can modify the data to ensure the column is updated--it happens "automatically" on the back-end.

Here is some basic trigger code:
Code:
CREATE TRIGGER t_TableName_LastModified
ON dbo.TableName
FOR UPDATE 
AS
BEGIN
     UPDATE a
     SET a.LastModified = GETDATE()
     FROM TableName a
     INNER JOIN INSERTED b
          ON a.PrimaryKeyColumn = b.PrimaryKeyColumn
END

If you notice, there is a table in the code called "INSERTED." This table is available in your trigger and contains your "new data." Either inserts or updated data, depending on the type of trigger.

A full explanation of triggers is beyond the scope of this post, so I suggest you read up on them. They will definitely come in handy for any database development you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back