Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record/playback failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

irisha2

Technical User
Feb 19, 2002
US
I'm new to a automation testing.

I have a couple of questions ...

In what situations would I overwrite an existing log?

Can anyone tell me what can cause script playbacks to fail?

What are disadvantages of using record/playback techniques in automated testing?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Irina.

Script playback failure of many reasons, application version difference, gui difference while recording, gui mapping, take all these things into consideration, u can avoid playback failures, these are very few things that playback may fail, playback failures depends on individual experiences also.

Logs are the results of ur test run. You can overwrite the log without any effect to the execution of ur script, but the details of the earlier runs will be lost.

One good example of advantages of record/playback tech that i can think of is populating the database with multiple records / txns of the same type.

This can be very efficiently done using the record/playback script and getting a new set of data from databank facility of winrunner.

environment issues are the most seen cause for script failure. We need to keep one thing in mind.
"Recorded system environment = Playback system environment"

this includes ur screen settings, app version and gui maps loaded and objects learnt.

trust info is helpfull.

regds,
Aakash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back