Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record Ownerships 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JwithaL

Technical User
Jul 14, 2004
Are there any ways to set the ownership of records quickly. Our company hasn't used the function to what it should be used and now I have to go back through and assign each record's ownership.

To add more information if this will help. I am assigning each record a ownership to territories so we can have reps sign in and only view what is in their territory.

Any info will help because I foresee this being a long process.

Hi

You can do a global replace on the OWNER field in the database. But you need to be aware of the system name for the group. Even though you may have a group called SOUTHWEST GoldMine would hold it as 1SOUTHWE or similar.

Therefore the process would be to create a filter of the records that should be in a given terrortory then active the filter performing a global replace on the Owner field to update the ownership on all those records.

If you want to restrict the view of records then you also need to update the STATUS field on the record to apply curtaining.

See the document at

[link]http://www.prior-analytics.com/files/TEC - Assigning Record Curtaining - GM6.pdf[/url]

for more information

Hope this helps

Rob

The code for the status are:

partial = I1
Complete = I2

An easy option to see how it works is to go onto a record that you want to set the ownership to and do a single on, open the dbf file in excel etc, and have a look at the properties of the Owner and Status fields to see what they have been changed to, and then use global replace to update a certain filter that you may have.

Hope this has helped...

Robcolborne - Semi Partial!!!! Is this is the later versions of goldmine, this is something i have never heard of. What does the record look like when a record is semi-partial.

Just interested, if it could be of use to us internal.

thanks

thanks for that, we are implementing 6.6 in the next 2 months, that is nice to know. Is there anymore feature that you may feel are nice please let me know.

Thank you so much to all. That's going to save me time and a half. I knew there had to be a faster way to do this because going through each one would drive a guy crazy.

Hi

Of the new stuff then the stand out stuff (in no particular order) is:

[ul]
[li]Record Typing[/li]
[li]Customisation of the Opportunity Manager[/li]
[li]Folders in the Document Management Centre[/li]
[li]GM+View Tab[/li]
[li]Mandatory Fields[/li]
[li]Custom Backgrounds[/li]
[li]Improve email with HTML[/li]
[li]Outlook Email Add In[/li]
[li]Improved Outlook Synchronisation[/li]
[li]New Contact Search Centre[/li]
[li]Meeting Requests[/li]
[li]Outlook Style Taskbar[/li]
[/ul]

There is probably more and some are not doubt in 5.7...

Rob

A bit late I know:

I have the same requirement and I use the LOOKUP.INI to attribute the owner of each record based on the Postcode (ZIP). My lookup.ini has records such as

Lookup1=left(ZIP,2)
AB=84scot
AL=80nlonn
etc

Which enters the right owner as soon as the postcode is added.

To do this after the event (and every time areas change) you can do a double Global Replace. I Put the Postcode in Userdef11 and then put Userdef11 in the postcode with lookup.ini ticked. This makes all the owners correct according to lookup.ini.

Hope this helps

Chris

Speaking of the LOOKUP.INI, do I have to create the ini file or is there a way to tell Goldmine to create it.

If I do have to create it does anyone have any places I can go to get information on it and what directory is it put into. Any help would help a lot.

Thanks again for all the help

Justin

Hi

You have to create a lookup.ini file. All you need to do is to create a new document in Notepad (or similar) and save it as Lookup.ini into the root GoldMine folder, e.g. c:\program files\goldmine.

If using Notepad remember to when saving to change the 'Save as Type' option to 'All Files' and enter the Filename as Lookup.ini. Otherwise you will end up with a file called 'Lookup.ini.txt'.

In the later version of GoldMine the help file has an example of a lookup.ini file to get you started.

Hope this helps

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back