Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record Manager 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPL27

MIS
Jul 26, 2007
GB
I have a database of 3,000+ on ACT 9.0.1. I have a sales person who had around 800+ contacts in their name. That person has left and I have redistributed the contacts across several other sales people. Ownership of the records has not been changed as this can only be done by and administrator and it is a large task to do 800+ contacts. If the new person responsible opens up a new opportunity and a report is run, it doesn't show in the new owner but still gets registered for the original record manager. Is there any way oif changing or updating this more quickly rather than go through each contact one-by-one, bearing in mind not just one person is taking over all the accounts of the ex-employee?

A starting point - create a lookup of the contacts that are going to be switched over to a specific user, then check out the Replace Field feature under the Edit menu.

You'll then get a 'Replace Data' window, with two boxes. Set 'Replace Contents Of:' to 'Record Manager', then set 'Value:' to the user you want the record manager to be. The value box, when replacing Record Manager information, should be a dropdown list containing all of the users in your database.

Incidently, if you ever delete a user from your database that owns contacts, you will be promoted to reassign those contacts. That is another way that will keep you from having to manually reassign each one. However, since you need to reassign to multiple people, that wouldn't exactly work in this case, but it is something that could help in the future.

Hope this helps,

~Melagan
______
"It's never too late to become what you might have been.

Just for info... I don't usually recommend deleting users unless you have a high turnover. You lose info of which user did the work.

Better to make the user Inactive in ACT! and do a Lookup, then Edit Replace to re-assign Record Manager fields in contacts, Companies and Groups.

Regards,
Mike Lazarus
ACT! Evangelist
GL Computing, Aust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back