Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record locking query - how to lock one table but not another

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCop

Programmer
Jan 11, 2002
GB
I have a multi-user database in Access 2000. The system is set up for pessimistic record locking for security.

There are two key groups of users:
- Finance
- Helpdesk

Each of these have their own tables with their own dedicated fields but there is a third table with information common to both functions (eg customer name). This common information is used for display purposes only on the specific user group screens. Each user group therefore has its own select query which includes all its own fields and customer name from the common table.

I had thought this structure would allow each function to work independantly but one group of users still locks out the other, I suppose through the common table. Is there a way round this other than duplicating the common information onto the dedicated tables so that each group of users is entirely independant of the other?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back