Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record Locking confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullaway

Technical User
Sep 27, 2000
US
Hello,

I'm having a problem that has me confused. I'm ATTEMPTING to go on line with my first DB. It's in A97; multiuser environment. In reading help on record locking, my understanding on choosing Edited Records, is the record being edited and possibly a couple more would be the only records locked. Well, in my first test flight that doesn't seem to be the case. If one user is editing a record in Customers it seems to be locking all records. I have double checked to make sure I've chosen Edited Records.

Could someone please take the time to explain what the best plan of attack would be and maybe help with my misunderstanding.

TIA
Shane

im not sure I exactly understand your problem, but if it does not allow you to edit records, such as customer, maybe it is because there are other records associated with that customer. But that would deal with editing the primary key. as far as record lock, the fields which you choose to lock become read only, and this is usaually good if they are fields which contain data from somewhere else that you dont want to change. But if you lock any field you cannot change or edit it. hope this helps somewhat

Thanks Tmconsult,

To be more specific. I'm talking about the choices on locking forms. In the forms properties I chose Edited Records as the locking method but instead of it locking the page that the edited record is one it seems to be locking the entire table. Could this be because I only have approx 15 records in there so far?

Hope this makes better sense.

Shane

Access 97 ??? If so, it only supports page record locking. However, a "page" to Access is 2048 Bytes worth of data. So, your 15 records probably add up to less than 2048 bytes and Access is locking the entire table.

Access 2000 allows record level locking on forms and recordsets.

If I understand correctly, your trying to lock the current record while it is being edited by one user, so that other users cannot edit it as well. Im looking at a reference book and your doing it the right way, Im not really sure why its not working. If you choose "Edited Records" then it should only lock the current record being edited. Does your form display more than one record on the form.

Thanks Tmconsult,

No my form does not display more than one record. Maybe databaseguy is right. Maybe it's appearing to lock everything because I don't have enough info in it yet. Should I set it to "No Locks" for about a month or so and then change it to "Edited Records"?

Thanks for the help guys,
Shane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back