Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

record-level not working, doing page-level locking

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowieG

Programmer
Oct 12, 2001
CA
I am using Access 2002 SP-2 (XP) under Windows 98.

I'm developing a database that will be shared and I want to enable record-level locking. If one using is editing record X (through a form), another user should have full access to every record in the underlying table except record X. I do not want a whole range of records to be locked, just the single record being edited.

I have gone to Tools/Options/Advanced and made sure that "open databases using record-level locking" was checked, and set "Default record locking" to "Edited record".

I then created two forms using the AutoForm function based on a simple products table. In each of these, I ensured that "Record locks" is set to "Edited record".

I then opened the two forms and start to edit a record in one, then flip to the other and discover that about 36 records are locked, not just the one being edited.

I am the only user with this database open, and even tried opening in exclusive mode...no difference.

Why? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to do it. I tried opening Access first, then opening the mdb file using File/Open and I still get the same effect.

Also, the KB article you indicated is for Access 2000. I'm running 2002 (XP) and have the latest service pack.

Is this a common problem? Does anybody run record-level locking??

After doing some more thorough testing of my database, I have found that even after installing the service release I am still getting what appears to be page-level locking (several records other than those that are currently active are being locked).

Does anybody use record-level locking? If so, is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back