Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Record Edit Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

neeko1226

MIS
Jul 24, 2003
US
We're looking for a way to select a record from a list of records on a search form which will then open a record detail form. The issue is having the record detail form display the current values for the fields, but also be a drop-down with other relevant options for each field. For example, for a Category field, when the detail form displays, the category field would display "Loans" (because that is the current value of the record), but if you select the drop-down you could select "Loans", "Investments" or "Services". There about 30 of these fields on the record detail form where I need to show the current data, but allow a user to select other possible values. Using Visual Studio 2013 on Windows 2012 servers with SQL Server 2014. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I do this by placing a combo box behind the textbox with just the arrow section being visible. When the user clicks the arrow I make the textbox invisible. When the user leaves the combo I set the value of the textbox to the combo box value. You can also bind them to the same column of a data table. Or you could just use combo boxes for all of them. I use the first approach when the user might not have edit permission. If no edit permission I don't show the combo box and make the text box read only.

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back