Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reconfigure DS4800 arrays for enclosure loss protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

J1gh2

MIS
Jul 7, 2004
GB
Hi Guys

Our DS4800 storage server was configured without any enclosure protection. i.e all the arrays are configured within single enclosures so that if a particular enclosure fails, or is powered off, the entire array would be lost.

I have now been tasked with restructuring the arrays so that there is enclosure loss protection (i.e configure the arrays vertically instead of horizontally). I had hoped to backup (at the AIX level) the data to tape and then create another array on the DS4800 which I will then use to set up a flashcopy and then volumecopy in order to migrate the current volumes onto new volumes in arrays configured vertically, spanning several enclosures instead of just one. This is the challenging bit so I would like any tips that any one can offer.

The storage subsystem was carved up in 7 arrays and there is free space under the various arrays which, if combined, would be enough to create another array big enough to migrate another one to it but this is not possible at the storage subsystem level (i.e you would not be able to configure an array with disks from different enclosures).

Another problem is that the size of disks used as hotspares may cause problems in that there are arrays with 76gb disks in them while the hotspare is 36gb. I would like the change this around so that the hotspare is at least equal in size to the largest disk in the array so there may need to be physical movement of disks.

Does anybody have any tips as to do this or how to restructure the array without losing data? Do we need to lease in another enclosure to use to create another array etc

Many thanks in advance for any advice and tips that you can offer as to how to go about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back