Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reconfigure access db/software from single machine to an office server

Status
Not open for further replies.

garfieldvv

Programmer
Sep 15, 2012
IT
Hello,
I have been here numerous times getting answers to tiny things I didn't know. and now I need your help.
for some time I am working with a data base program I built in access. it consists of the usual's: tables for data keeping, some forms, queries and reports. my forms handle every thing and I never need to look at the rough tables. up until now I was using that program on a single computer. I have made my staff larger and purchased a small HP server with MS server2008 and added workstations. I want to transfer the Access "package" to the server and allow for simultaneous work by me and others on the file. I am familiar with access but on a single machine level...
would it suffice if I copy every thing to the server, all the right path and all, and create a shortcut on the "Client" machines to run the program?

In an old work place they used a shared Excel file this way...

I am sorry for the long tale but I need your "know how" to making this possible. right now I do not want to "trial and error" with this stuff.

Thanks,
Tom

You will need to post your question in a Microsoft Access forum....this forum is for Microsoft SQL Server.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back