Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reconfig/Expand SCSI Array 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarkon4

MIS
Dec 16, 2003
US
We had 5 18.2GB scsi drives in the server, we have hot swapped all them out with 72.8GB drives.
Is it possible to expand the array through ACU or would I have to reconfigure and re-install everything on the server?

We are using windows server 2003 R2. That link sounds like that's what we want, but I am confused about the OS seeing the new space. Do I have to do something so the server will see the extra space?

You can swap the disks individually and use the ACU to get the server to see the extra space by either extending the existing logical volume or creating a new one, but you may have to use a 3rd party tool such as Partition Magic to extend your C: to utilise the extra diskspace. You cannot use DISKPART to extend the system partition. Alternatively, you can create a new drive letter

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

We have expanded and extended the array. I was under the impression that it would take a long time. It seemed to take no time at all. We booted it up but after logging in
the desktop does not show up, nor does the task bar.
Our users can connect to it just fine.

I'm at a loss, it seems we have a problem but I am not sure what that problem is. Any ideas?

The expansion and extension will usually run in the background and can be visibly seen by the hard disks lights flashing in sequence.

The symptoms you describe would indicate that EXPLORER.EXE is not loading properly. If you Ctrl-Alt-Del and get Task Manager loaded up, can you kill the Explorer process and restart it (via New Task)?

"Insert funny comment in here!"

We had found out that the registry became corrupted.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back