Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommended Tools? Magnetic or non-magnetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheepynet

Technical User
Apr 27, 2006
GB
Today I have just replaced the motherboard on my g/f's Dell Inspiron 1150 Laptop, quite a dawnting task I thought I wasn't going to be able to pull off - as I have only had experience building PCs (Towers/Shuttles).

After a bit of faffing around, and taking it to bits again and reseating everything, and swapping the ram sticks over, it worked! :)

But when I was doing it, I rounded off the heads of 2 screws, luckily it was just for the 56k modem (which she doesnt use). I know, I know "a good workman never blames his tools" but these are the screwdrivers I use to take my motorbike to bits and they are one of these 500 piece tool kit things (and not a good one either, an unbranded cheapo argos set)

I was just after some recommendations for good makes of tools for working on PCs and Laptops. Also I know having magnets anywhere near PC components is a big no no, but ive always had screwdrivers that have magnetic tips and some times they have rescued screws or help to get them out of holes. (also, touch wood, Ive never killed anything because they were magnetic)

So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, and should I go with magnetic or non magnetic in the future?

It takes a pretty strong magnetic field or a prolonged contact to really do any damage. Screwdrivers with a weak magnetic pull should be perfectly safe. Honestly you are a lot more likely to damage something by shorting it with the metal screwdriver tip than with it's magnetic field.

Many tools get magnetized over time to some degree anyway and I have on occasion intentionally magnetized them like when the wing nut for the air filter fell down the carburetor throat into the engine. Magnetizing that screwdriver saved me a LOT of trouble there.

Just get good name brand tools like Craftsman. There are a lot of good tools out there but many many more bad ones.

Screw heads can strip easy if they are of a cheap/soft metal even if you have a good screwdriver. But cheap screwdrivers, especially philips type are soft also and the tip strips making them slip in the screw head easier.

The biggest thing to watch for is having the right size screwdriver for the job. Too large a tip slips just as easily as too small a tip and causes problems. Always have at least the three most common sizes available and it does not hurt to have a #0 for those tiny screws (like on your eyeglasses/sunglasses).

Having a small assortment of nut drivers is very useful. Many computer screws are hex head philips or sometimes hex head flats so you could use a nut driver on them as easily as a screwdriver but it has a much better grip.

And it never hurts to have a small flashlight or LED light with the tools. Most times working on a computer I am on the floor and under the desk and cannot see a thing. :)

It's hard to think outside the box when I'm trapped in a cubicle.

I like the Picquic sixpac+ for a full size driver and Whia drivers for the small stuff. Both companies make good quality tools.

The answer is "42"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back