Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommended print margin settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeafBug

Programmer
Jul 31, 2003
US
Using CR10, we have several printers that change the output size. Sometimes an edge will get cut off by 1/8 or 1/4 when printed on one printer. But it is fine on another printer. I can even see the changes in CR when working on a report after changing the printer.

So with a report open, click on File | Page Setup. What is the recommended margin settings that will work in all printers or at least most of them without having something getting cut off. Keep in mind that I need as much as space possible as clients want a crammed report. (Don't ask me why.)

Most of our reports show a margin of .21 to .25 setting. Reports vary from portrait or landscape. There is over 70 reports. So I need to go thru all of them and redo the margins so that nothing gets cut off.

.25 is usually a pretty safe amount, but it can still vary from printer to printer. About a year ago, I wrote a utility to automate adding a bunch of formatting to about 120 reports, including a Box object that engulfs each page of the report (from the header on down). Looked great, until I started testing on some other printers. My end result was .19 for the left and right margins, and .30 for the top and bottom margins.

-dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back