Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommended NT Backup Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonysilva

MIS
Dec 3, 2002
GB
Hi,

I'm currently trialing Brightstor Arcserve 9 for use in backing up our NT servers. We have previously used Arcserve 6 with mixed results (i certainly know that their support is rubbish) and i'm at pains to order this new version if its as buggy as previous ones.
Can anyone recommend any other suitable software?
The backups are fairly basic GFS Differential, with full monthlys. I'm using an HP Surestore DAT 24 DDS3 tape drive and the server contains approx 20Gb of data (full backups run across two tapes).

Any views gratefully received!

I have used ARCserve 2000, BrightStor v.9, and Veritas Backup Exec. Of the three, I definitely prefer Backup Exec. It is layed out in a way that is more logical than the others and, honestly, has never given me any grief. I always find myself trying to solve problems with the other two, but I manage about 30 different backup jobs.

That's my 2cents worth

I agree i prefer BackupExec to Arcserve but mostly due to Veritas having better support then CA.

On the other hand try looking into CommVault. I recently had a lengthy conversation with their engineers and they are doing some neat things over there. I can't comment on their support or whether their software truly works well on all fronts as I haven't yet used it but it interested me enough to try it. I'm going to see if i can find some real CommVault users to get their perspective on the product. From what I saw it looks superior to both BE and AS..

I currently use ARCSERVE 2000 on an NT server and find it:

1. Buggy and temperamental needing lots of patches to get it working.

2. The documentation is not always clear and unless you have paid (expensive) support, the only real useful information is this forum!

3. The ARCSERVE proprietry database that stores the backup and media information seems to be very processor and disk intensive (specifically pruning of old records) and from what I have read prone to corruption.

However once it is working and stable it works satisfactorily. I used to use Ultrabac on NT sometime ago and found this software to be much easier to use and less buggy.

I would see if you can demo the software before you use it.

Thanks for all your replys!
Much to think about there. I'll be taking a look at both the Veritas and Bakbone solutions although i have to say, having run Brightstor for a few weeks on trial now, i havent had any of the usual Arcserve problems. No doubt i will if and when we license the product!
Once again, thanks for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back