Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommended books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrelhawes

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
US
Hi,

What books on Access are recommended for a person new to database design and who wants to become proficient as quickly as possible? I'm an accountant trying to develop a database for my employer's use. I'm currently using Access 2000. I've taken an introductory course about two years ago but have not needed to put what I've learned into practice until now. Thanks.

Darrel

Hi Darrel,

This really depends on the proficiency level you want, and at what rate.
As an accountant, you'll know that learning has a curve and you suit it to your reqmnts.

I think that you should spend a night searching and learning from the Net sites available to give you some 'jargon' about databases (you notice that I don't say MS Access).

MS Access is a tool to enable database design and development and also application design and development.

There is one key phrase that you MUST understand the meaning of (and understand period) if you wish to develop robust, efficient and future-proof databases; and that is 'Releational Database'.

Learn about the concept of relational databases and you are learning the 'foundation' of database design and development - for ALL database development tools.
If you don't have an understanding of this - you will create rubbish forever. Honest.

No magic book - just the key phrase: 'relational database' then follow through from there.

Hope this helps, and no-doubt others will add helpful books.

Kind regards,

Darrylle

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience." darrylles@totalise.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back