Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecWriter

Technical User
Nov 14, 2003
US
I'm looking for a portable barcode scanner that can be setup to require the user to scan 2 barcodes and give audible indication when the 2 barcodes scanned do not match.

The scanner will be used in a warehouse environment - used to do a one to one comparison of a barcode on 2 separate tags. The scanner should be lightweight and very easy to use.

If you need more detail/background, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Doug,

Thanks for your reply. Do you know of any "off-the-shelf" products that could do a comparison of 2 scanned barcodes? The group I'm working with wants to minimize cost and keep the process as simple as possible.

The scanner would not need a screen - basically a loud beep to let the user know the scanned barcodes do not match would be sufficient. The unit would need to portable (battery powered), but there is no current need for downloading the scanned data back to a PC.

Thanks again,

Andy

NO, a program has to tell anything what to do.

Anyway the cost savings this device would provide is probably going to pay for even the most sophisticated device in no time at all.
It always amuses me when companies or the people that run them don't think saving time and cutting down on mistakes is worth anything.
Think of it this way. How much does it cost per mistake without the device? Over 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, which is the Warranty period on the devices.
I think you will find that spending $20,000.00 would be a bargain and you are getting it for a 95% discount. $1000.00 is probably a drop in the bucket.
Another way to think of it is the return on investment. You are spending $1000 and getting $20,000 in return. That’s a 2000% return on investment. Any stock fund doing that in 5 years? EVER?

How easy is a programmed unit:
Pick up the device, turn it on, click a button or two and scan two barcodes, the screen prompts you what to do. If it beeps, it’s wrong, you are done. Also having a program you can track Date and Time the errors were found without any fuss this is done when the barcode is scanned. Its built into the program.
Upload data to a PC, no problem it’s built in the program.

DougP, MCP

Doug,

We will be making a major system (mainframe) change-over next year. As a result, the scanner(s) that will be purchased for this "comparison activity" will be obsolete unless they meet the new system's requirements. As a result, the plant would rather spend very little on equipment that will be obsolete by Sept of 2004 - OR - buy equipment that can be used with the new system.

Do you know of a scanner that can meet the following requirements?

1. QR Code capable
2. Wireless (RF)
3. AS400 emulation (Windows CE)

Thanks again for your help,

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back