Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudreyCole

Programmer
Aug 14, 2002
US
Hi. I'm planning to 1. Print barcoded ID (code 39) along with other text info onto a single label from an Access report. 2. Paste that label on a card and Laminate the card. Then, 3. scan the card in for a check in/check out type of system that I'm creating using Access. We'll have several hundred ID cards with several dozen transactions (scans) per day.

The info on this site is enormously useful. I'd still like specific recommendations on 1. single label printers for this application. 2. wand-type scanner. 3. whether I should use a keyboard wedge with the wand or get a wand with the decoder included. 4. laminators.

I've had the Zebra DA402 printer and Worthington Data for the wand scanner recommended so far. I thought any inexpensive printer could print barcodes. Any comment?

Thank you in advance,

Audrey Cole

Sure, if you want to print, paste and laminate, then a laser printer (inexpensive by the standards of bar code printers) will do. BUT.

Be sure to scan it once it is pasted on and laminated. (Each and lable recommended).

Since you are going to print 2 fields, you must be prepared to handle the "split"ting in the application. So if your "decoder" can do it, then OK, else, a straight wadge scanner may be OK.

End

Hello, AnanthaP. Thanks for your response. I was obviously unclear on what I'll be printing. The barcode part, on its own line, is an ID. On another line is the name of the person, etc.

So what will get scanned is simply the ID. Does this make any difference in your suggestion?

Thanks again for any insight,

Audrey Cole

Audrey,
We use the Zebra 105 series and it is very dependable, but at $2k is probably overkill. Handheld Products and Symbol scanners are very good, as long as they are not abused too much. If this is a time card application then abuse and security may be an issue. Also, with a keyboard wedge type scanner, anyone can also just type in the employee's badge number, they don't have to scan it (unless you lock up the keyboard).
There are dedicated badge printers/laminators. How durable must the badge be? Since the number of badges is small you may want to farm out the badge printing unless immediate turnaround is needed.
Mike

Audrey,

Hello.

Mike brings up a good point about others being able to input the data. If this is not a security issue and more of an ease of use (less errors, etc), then don't worry about the security issue of course. If it is a security issue then when you laminate the cards, you could use an overlay that hides the barcode but can be read by an infrared scanner. However that puts limits on the type of scanners you can use.

As far as picking the right scanner, I try and sway people from using wands. They are good for some applications, but really a pain where ease of use is concerned. There are some handheld scanners you can get. As Mike mentioned, Welch Allyn makes a nice unit. They have the IT3800 handheld scanner with keyboard (or USB, RS232, etc) interface. You should be able to pick up a complete kit of the IT3800LR-12CMBKIT for about $249 at the most. If someone wants to charge you more, then you are paying too much.

On the printer, there a few out there. Zebra has a good line. If you want a low cost printer that is good quality they have the Zebra Stripe Series S600. list price is $1395 but you should be able to pick a new one up fr about $950. Any more and you are paying too much. You can get cheaper ones too. If you want more ideas, let me know. Remember when picking a printer if your label is going to be used in a situation like yours I would recommend getting a thermal transfer printer (not direct thermal). Most come with a dual mode, but the cheaper ones you have to select one version or the other. Thermal transfer is more durable and lasts. Direct thermal is like the old fax paper that came on a roll. It turns yellow after time, black in the sun...etc. Great for short term applications, but long term it isn't a good idea. The advantage of direct thermal is you don't have to use ribbon when printing. However, I often thought it almost a wash because the price on direct thermal labels is more than the paper labels used with the ribbon. Go figure!

Instead of laminating, you could buy cards and get a printer that can print on cards. You may have seen these before, it is like what you get for a membership card. If you have a Costco store around you, you may of seen their membership cards. You wouldn't have to laminate those. Just an idea.

Oh, and about whether or not to get a keyboard wedge unit or not...it really depends on what you need. If you will have a keyboard there anyway with the number present on the card (aside from the barcode), then no matter what the interface people can type in the data. However, perhaps there could be a way that you can program the field that accepts the member I.D. to only accept data with a preamble of a certain character or digit that only you would know. You can program the scanner to automatically put the digit (or whatever you want, Full ASCII) when it scans and then it will automatically send that data with the modification to that field. No one could replicate that unless they knew your code.

Hope that helps.

AJ

For the scanner, I'd just jump on EBAY and pick one up. You can get a nice decoded scanner with PS2 cable interface for a song........ I just picked up two welch allyn 5400's in like-new condition for less than $50. There are a lot of thermal transfer label printers to be had there too.
good luck

I want to thank everyone who responded. Your information was quite helpful! I am now happily printing and scanning away. More importantly, the CLIENT is happy!

Thanks again,

Audrey Cole

You do not need an expensive special printer. Any laser printer does the job. Much cheaper. You do need a quality Code 39 font. Take a look at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back