Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

saywhat01

Technical User
Oct 30, 2006
US
I have used Samba in a home netwroking environment for the last few years and hae found it to be a GREAT tool...

Now I have been approached to install a new Fedora 6 Server to be used as a File Server for arroximately 15 users who will all connect from WinXP PC's.

My question is this: How would I best setup these users to access ONLY the shares they are to have access to?

I would REALLY like to keep this as simple as possible as I am going to be handing over the administration to someone with limited Linux experience and don't want the headaches of having to hand hold them for the next 20 years.

This is a fresh install of Fedora 6 with all updates in place.

By default, users will have access to their own home directories and to any shares which do not have a "valid users" entry. Therefore if you define a share which you want to make accessible to Jim and Mary only, include the entry "valid users = jim mary" in the share definition. It is also possible to restrict access to certain user groups, but with a small userbase, you probably don't want that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back