Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendations Home Wirless Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf005

Technical User
Apr 5, 2005
Looking for recommendations on how to improve my wireless configuration thru out my home.

Hardware
[ul]
[li]ATT U-Verse Box 3801HGV[/li]
[li]Netgear WNR3500v2[/li]
[li]Netgear WNDR3400v3[/li]
[li]Linksys RE1000[/li]
[/ul]
Clients
[ul]
[li]Windows 2012 Server[/li]
[li]Windows 8.1 (5 machines)[/li]
[li]Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii[/li]
[li]HP Printers (one G and one N speeds)[/li]
[li]Many mobile devices running at G or N[/li]
[/ul]

Current Config
ATT box is running DHCP and its wireless is disabled
Both Netgears are running as AP's but with different SSID's at different sides of the house with a connecting Ethernet cable
Linksys is working as wireless NIC for a Blu-ray player

Current Issue
When roaming around the house keep needing to disconnect from on SSID and connect to the other. At one point I had the SSID with the same name but ran in the same issue.

Wish list
Would like to have the AP's working together if possible so the clients will auto roam.
Would like to disable most of the features of the ATT device so the Netgear handles port forwarding, QOS, etc

Thinking the wireless repeater function in the Netgear is the way to go but now sure of the proper settings, and if it would work thru the network cable. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks for the responses in advance.

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

home........Windows 2012 Server......Windows 8.1 (5 machines)...
A home. Wow. If you've got that much money and/or that large of a house, I'd hire it done professionally with business grade access points. Because..... the roaming problem is not going to go away. It's called "client stickiness". That's why I suggest professional equipment which can deal with that.
Link

But if you want to do it yourself. Link

2Wire into bridged mode (not true bridge mode but dmz plus) DHCP OFF Wireless OFF
Best 2nd router: 192.168.1.1 DHCP ON WAN port of 3801 into LAN port of router
3rd router connected to first router via cable LAN to LAN port: 192.168.1.2 DHCP OFF
SSID same on both routers / Different channels

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Goom, that is how my home network is setup, but I have CAT6 running to every room with gigabit switches for the stuff I want wired, my HTPC's, Xbox 360, Tivo, Xbox,NAS and PC's. But tablets,laptops,phones, Wii are all wireless. Same SSID, Same password, but different channels, both for 5GHz, and 2.4Ghz. At worst I see a little blip when it switches to the other AP, most of the time I don't even notice it.

I knew your were rich rclarke250!!! Glad my idea matches your setup. But my reality does not.
CAT6 running to every room
Wired always >>>>> Wireless That's the best way to have it.
Some equipment seems to "stick" to an access point rather than roaming successfully more than others. It would rather go down with the ship than move to a better signal. Same SSID gives best chance of fast switching between APs.

For greater range, I would almost tell the OP to only use the 2.4GHz network becaues it does give more wall penetration than 5GHz. I've tested it and on a marginal location in a house, I will turn off the 5GHz.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back