Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendations for Video tape to PC capture

Status
Not open for further replies.

tf1

Technical User
Oct 2, 2004
GB
I want to copy some of my VHS video tapes (both commercial and home recorded) to my PC.

I've been looking at the Pinnacle Dazzle Platinum which at around £50 looks (on paper) to do what I want. But I keep find conflicting reviews from 'Wonderful' to 'Crap' (not much in between), so it seems to be a love or hate relationship!

Any recommendations for capture VHS from SCART out > PC in, using DIVx (or Xvid or similar). I have a reasonably good PC so it doesn't have to use a hardware accelerated conversion.

(Asus P5E-VM HDMI, E8400, 2GB PC2-800, Radeon HD3870, Vista Ult).

Terry

Regards: tf1

Do a google search on these terms: copy vhs pc There is a ton of info out there, including an article from PC Advisor (which is in the UK).

Basically, depending on your vcr, you'll need either a composite video cable or S-video cable and a capture device. And some burning software if you want to burn movies to a DVD.

tf1

After reading the reviews I would hesitate to go with the Pinnacle Dazzle. I did this task several years ago and used the breakout box from my ATI-AIW 8500 and Nero to do the deed.

Now, I have the Sony DVDirect, it connects to the output of VHS, DVR etc. and encodes and copies on the fly to DVD...super convenient, and decent quality too. Pricey, but worth the time savings in my book.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Personally, I still like to recommend add-in PCI cards from Hauppauge:

It appears, however, that you're hoping to find one with an SCART input. I'm not sure where to find one like that, but there are adapters that will convert SCART to composite to work with standard VIVO (Video in Video out) cards.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Thanks for all the tips and links. There was some interesting reading there.

I'll certainly give the Pinnacle Dazzle a miss: on paper it looks great but there are just too many disatisfied users around to feel copmfortable with it.

I'm going to look at a PCI card solution. I'm not too worried about the SCART because as mentioned above, SCART to phono or SCART to S-Video converters are ten a penny.

Terry

Ya know, I completely forgot about a USB Hauppage converter I used for security cameras...worked great. I'm with cdogg...Hauppage has been a top-level player in the video capture niche forever it seems.

This is one case where the reviews make/break the product. While your future experience might be perfect, there's too many others out there that had problems. Best of luck to you on this venture.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I've taken alook at that solution too. I have a Hauppauge dual channel digital (terrestrial) tuner and a dual channel satellite tuner and have been extremely pleased with their performance. I'd feel more comfortable with that solution too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back