Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendations for fiber 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bithead9

MIS
Jan 27, 2003
US
Hi folks, I am new to running fiber. I have done CAT3/5/6 before and the like. I was wondering what the best type of fiber, 50mm 62.5mm or what for short distances. I am upgrading a school campus and all the runs are 300 meters or less. There are four buildings to connect. Will be running the fiber thru underground conduit. I heard that using 50mm you might need attenuators. I want simple solution that can be upgraded in the future. (like top 10Gigbit) My plan currently is to install Gigabit meda convertes where the fiber connects to the local switches/hubs in each building. Later the switched can be upgraded to Gigabit (they are 100 or 10 baset now). From the discussions I have had offline with others the 62.5 seems like a good fit. I'd like to get another opinion on this aspect. Also, what if any general TIPS might you have for a successful installation ? Patch panels, cable pulling tips, etc. Or if oyu know a link to this type of information I'd love to see it.

I just got finished upgrading some of my campuses as well in some new fiber layout (switched from a hub and spoke to a ring) to give me a redundant path. I am about to swap over to this new fiber to run at a 10GbE backbone. I had nothing but 62.5mm, but on my new "ring", I did single mode. I had to do it on mine because of distance limitations on 10Gb over multimode, but I also like the fact that even if something changes in the future, say 100GbE or whatever, I won't have to worry about distance limitations on my fiber.

At <300 meters, you can use either SM or MM for up to 10G connectivity.

I would use 50um multimode for the simple reason that SM GBICs (SFPs) cost about double.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back