Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendations for easy-to-use IDE tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkymin

Programmer
Dec 26, 2004
SG
Hi all,

I am a beginner in Java programming. Currently, I am using eclipse as IDE tool but i find it relatively hard to use.
May i know is there any other easy-to-use IDE tools to aid my program development in Java?
Any kind help is greatly appreciated.

Another query, what is the different between using a collection and hashtable? In terms of performance, which one is more preferred?

Thanks! :)

a) Is a syntax-highlightening editor enough?
Have a look at (scintilla-)scite.

Which plattform?

b) What is faster - a Ship or a Porsche?
It depends in which circumstances you're going to use it.
I don't have to talk about streets and water.
Hashtable is fast, if you lookup objects by keys.
Other questions are, how often do you insert data, do you need to sort it, how and how often do you access it, and so on.

And collection is only an interface.
A HashSet for instance is a kind of Collection.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Platform? I am currently using UNIX platform.

As for my application, hashtable was used to store user's inputs. The insertion & retrieval of data were quite frequent, whenever user opens UI to key in and save data.

Well - quite frequent means something > 3.
But userinput normally means that any operation < 0.1 s is not recognized, and in that interval you may insert and retrieve some thousand values.

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil.", Donald Knuth :)

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Idea IntelliJ is much friendlier than Eclipse out of the box and is not very expensive.

I'm a relatively re-new (quit for a while, now back in) at java and because of this I prefer a syntax hilighter. It helps me know Java and the syntax rather than having a program create some foreign language. I think it will also help in the future if I switch jobs and the new job won't buy me my favorite. When I was in school learning my first real programming language, the professor recommended we use notepad and compile the code in a DOS box for this reason.

I now use jEdit ( It's free, platform independant, and does everything I want it to do. It doesn't rape code it doesn't know. The plugins are bountiful too.

Just my input on the subject.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-- Francois Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back