Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendations for a packet sniffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lck092580

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
CA
I'm trying to narrow down a problem we're having with our network. (lots of traffic going out which is slowing our network down).

The logs from ISA doesn't seem to cut it. Any recommendations for a good free/trial packet sniffer?

Thanks.

T

Windows 2000 server has one that lots of users under estimate the power. Network Monitor. This can do just the same as Ethereal, and we use this also, but first the client computer need the service added on there computer, Network properties, add network monitor. Then run Network monitor on the server, add the users computer names to the address book, and start the monitor, when done, go to stop and view, you can see the same stuff as ethereal. You better brush up on your network skills, this will tell you a lot!

P.S. We got a hold of Trial run of Sniffer, and loaded it on our network, this told us a lot, but again was cut shot to find it did the same thing a Network monitor, just in a better GUI form!!!

I hope this Helps

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way
USAF

Thanks USAF.. u're right.. i've got a lot to learn. I'm going to read more networking books after I finish university this year.

T [afro][gorgeous][afro2]

*HighSchool Graduate* :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back