Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendation of courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyarwood

Programmer
Nov 3, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I've just been asked by my boss what courses I want to go on. Apparently it can cover absolutely anything. I am currently an MCP and one exam away from MCAD and another away from MCDBA. I also have the Prince 2 foundation. I think I can probably cover the MCP exam content on my own with more experience. Just wondering what courses people would recommend.

Cheers

dyarwood

What do you do at the moment in your job, is this likely to change in the near future?

What do you want to achieve career wise?

In addition to your MCPs, do you have other qualifications (degree etc)?

John

I am a senior software engineer, would like to get to the management of a dev team soon and I have a Masters of Maths degree. Job role will probably stay the same for a while but I'm think more longer term as the techie exams I am ok with teach myself.

would like to get to the management of a dev team

Project Management, then?

< M!ke >
Acupuncture Development: a jab well done.

I've just been asked by my boss what courses I want to go on. Apparently it can cover absolutely anything.
[irrelevant]
I once had a boss say the exact same thing to me. The very next day I presented him with a registration form for a 5 day "developer conference" cruise in the Bahamas, with a price tag of about $4,000. He didn't let me go. [sad]
[/irrelevant]

Hope This Helps!

ECAR
ECAR Technologies

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

If you're thinking long term, avoid the MDCBA as it is old hat now.
MS is discontinuing mainstream support for SQL Server 2000 next April, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the MCP SQL 2000 exams get discontinued around then. MCITP: Database Administrator is the SQL Server 2005 equivalent, and this may be worth looking at if DB admin is your thing. MCITP : Database Developer covers the T-SQL Programming side, and MCITP : BI Developer covers the business intelligence area (Reporting Services, SQL Server Integration services etc).

MCAD - would doing it give you anything worthwhile? Remember that the value in any qualification is what you get out of it - whether it be a payrise, promotion or a better job moving to a new employer.
It depends on your employer's attitude towards the qualification in question, and I would ascertain that before doing lots of work towards it.

John

If you're looking towards leading a team, I'd suggest you look at Team Leadership, Assertiveness Skills, Presentation Skills and Time Management. That also has the advantage of drawing your boss's attention to your ambitions, and if you get the training, it should put you at an advantage when any vacancies do come up.

It may also be worth looking at ITIL, which seems to be gaining in popularity. Though I'd probably stick with the foundation course.

Rosie
"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." Richard Feynman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back