Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendation - NAS device with remote access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I have a customer that has a NAS but it's "landlocked", meaning data availability only over the local LAN. What are some of the better products in terms of being both a good basic NAS unit and good at access from anywhere.

I see things like My Book Live Duo and ReadyNAS 100 series. I know what the manufacturer says they can do, but I need to know what to expect in real life.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I am not following with regards to Landlocked. If the existing NAS device is using an internal IP address isn't it possible to have the device behind a NATed IP address (firewalled of course) in order to allow access from the outside.

I meant that it's an older style of NAS without any of the newer "access anywhere" features. What you say is true, but I was thinking there are more elegant ways of doing it.

Either way it all comes down to networking. You either assign a public address to it and make it "cloud-like" or assign a private one and make it only accessible via secure access mechanisms (ex VPN)

Something like QNAP - TS-212, TS-212P, TS-212-E look like they have good mechanisms for remote access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back