Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommendation for compatible model for trunk/redundancy with 2824

Status
Not open for further replies.

elanvolant

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2011
US
I have a ProCurve 2824 that I am currently using for GigE with my five WIndows servers and NetApp FAS 2020 Filer. I'm about to begin a virtualization project with a new server (to replace two old ones) and the NetApp. I would like to purchase a ProCurve that I can setup trunking, redundancy and "teaming/bonding" with the 2824. The 2824 model is no longer being sold.

The effect I want is maximum bandwidth with switch failure redundancy. So, for example, the NetApp Filer has two GigE ports for each controller. I would like to hook up one from each controller to Switch A and the second from each controller to Switch B and have then both active under one IP (LACP?) for each controller for 2 GiGe theoretical speeds. If one switch fails, all continues fine with half the bandwidth. And I want to do this with the virtualized servers also.

Which 20/24 port model do you recommend to go well with the discontinued 2824?

Thank you!

I have a similar setup using the E2910al switches. I use them as they give me 1Gb ports, access to 10Gb ports which I use, and large bandwidth on the backplane. I have Hyper-V clusters connecting to these along with HP Lefthand SAN nodes. Works great.

They meet all of your requisites and won't break the bank.

I also bought 4 2910s for the same reasons and haven't had any trouble for over a year with them.

On the other hand, 3500s give you access to many more features including distributed trunking so you might want to at least have a look at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back