Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommend Video Splitter Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSUIVERSON

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
US
I have been approached by a number of member's of my department with questions regarding multiple monitors to help complete their jobs. I have in the past had a LAPTOP working with a 19 inch Flat Panel which functioned as a single monitor over two screens. However they would like to have a flat panel function with their already existing DESKTOP Monitor.

I am more of a database developer than anything so I am no hardware expert. I did somer research on VIDEO Splitter's etc. and would like to know if any hardware experts out there could recommend a splitter and 17-19 inch Flat Panel Monitors that could be setup with standard DELL Boxes and Monitors?

Best solution quality wise and cost-wise in your opinion.

I appreciate the tips. Thanks.

Wait so you want three computers on one screen

Talent does what it can, genius does what it must

Sorry If I wasn't very clear.

It's basically for accountants who have one box each. They work off the mainframe system, MS ACCESS, Excel etc. - most of the time all simultaneously.

What they were interest in was having much great screen space to work off of.

Instead of spending $1,500 or so on 24-25 inch Monitors to allow them more space to tile windows and see their work area better - I thought having two monitors that coudl function as one would be more cost efficient.

I was able to do this at my last job when I worked off of a laptop and had an additional Flat Screen at my desk. The two would function as one monitor. I assumed that since a desktop is already using the monitor port I needed some kind of splitter to have two monitors serving one box. Is a VIDEO SPLITTER different than this?

See what I am saying? I hope so.

Good advice. That was what I was looking for. I'll contact the tech department to review install on those.

Thanks.

Or just upgrade the video card to one that has two outputs. Mine even has one regular output and one digital output for the new flat screens. It is an MSI GeForce 4200 64MB which 9 months ago I paid $135US.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Alternativly there "Duel or multi-Head" graphics cards available at a moderate charge.

Combining 2 or more graphices card in one machine can cause conflict especially if one is AGP and the other is older PCI or of different manufacture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back