Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommend Textbook/website etc on Extra macros

Status
Not open for further replies.

allmana

Technical User
Nov 21, 2008
US
Would anyone have any recommendations to learn and develop macros within Extra so that I may extract data from the mainframe? Thanks!

I am in the same boat as you. I can't find any books on this subject. I went to the Comdex Show in Chicago and talked to the attachmate people about this very subject. I gave them my card and they said they would send me some information. It's been 3 months so I don't think it's coming.

We have been able to emulate various onlines and enter and extract data from the 3270 screen but it doesn't seem as efficient as the older Quickbasic and HLLAPI applications we used to create.

I am on the lookout for anything that will help. If I find something I will let you know.

I use the recorder alot to help me with developing the macros that we use. Sometimes it will do the basics and then you can just go in and add more code to do the little things. But it looks like a lot of us are having the same problem. I can't seem to find info on Extra macros either. Half the time it doesn't like the commands I try to use. Its like it has a language all its own. I don't have too much trouble extracting data from the mainframe though. My problem is getting it to accept the commands that I need to control Excel. Right now I am fighting with it to do a sort on a column in an excel spreadsheet. I can get it to select the column but it bombs when I try to sort. I used straight Visual Basic commands, then VBA any way I could think of, even the way the Extra Help said to do it and nothing works. It is really starting to get to me. If anyone has any suggestions, please answer!!

Has anybody been running a macro in a 3270 session, entering data into the online and have the screen saver pop up because someone forgot to turn it off and it kills the macro. I can't understand how keystrokes are being entered but not be recognized by the PC. This is Extra 6.4 and Windows NT....

I have found that a lot of times it is easier to write "Attachmate" macros from Excel itself. Writing VB code in Excel is a lot more user-friendly and none of the features are limited like they are in Attachmate. All you have to do then is create a session and screen object to talk with Attachmate. So the syntax for working with Attachmate from Excel would be:

Session.Screen.MoveTo 5, 49
Session.Screen.Sendkeys ("5")
Session.Screen.Sendkeys (&quot;<Enter>&quot;)

I have found that a lot of times it is easier to write &quot;Attachmate&quot; macros from Excel itself. Writing VB code in Excel is a lot more user-friendly and none of the features are limited like they are in Attachmate. All you have to do then is create a session and screen object to talk with Attachmate. So the syntax for working with Attachmate from Excel would be:

Session.Screen.MoveTo 5, 49
Session.Screen.Sendkeys (&quot;5&quot;)
Session.Screen.Sendkeys (&quot;<Enter>&quot;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back