Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommend me an Access database on the web book please 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavla

Programmer
Jul 10, 2000
GB
I would like a good book on publishing Access database on the web.

I have been developing with Access (using VBA, too) for many years, so I am OK with database concepts and making user friendly local databases, but know nothing about the web: Do I need to know about designing a web page onto which I place Access pages? The whole technology baffles me - how does it all fit together? Anyhow, where do I start and what books ought I to read?

Thank you. Pavla.

DOn't have a book title for you, but -

Search these forums on DAP or "data access page" to see some examples and problems some people have run into.

Forget what you know about how an access form transfers data to another form or query. With Data Access Pages (DAP), you're creating WEB PAGES. Thus to transfer data from a page to another, you might need to write cookies. The language you'll be using will be VBScript or JavaScript. Remember, you're coding in the Internet Explorer environment, NOT ACCESS. There are other pain in the neck nuances about coding Access for the web - it's a long learning curve.

I've found most IT departments aren't familiar with the XML produced by DAP's. So they'll tell you to rewrite it in ASP or something. DAP's been around for about 6 years, yet few IT people have learned it.

A simpler, quicker way to have remote access to your Access database it to put up a Citrix server ( Then your clients can just login remotely and your Access database can just be stand alone.

If you don't like the Citrix server idea, I would say you could learn SQL or MySql quickly (relatively speaking) and use it to access your Access.

If you're on an INTRAnet, you could split your database. You would then make a replica of your FE. Then once a week or whatever, you can sync the different FE's.

A good website that has links to various Microsoft papers on DAP's is:

or try:
msdn.microsoft.com\library - Then on the left, expand Office Solution Development, Microsoft Office XP, Access 2002, Technical Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back