Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommend Linux box vendors? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton213

MIS
Jun 14, 2001
US
Does anyone recommend any specific Linux box vendors? I see that VA Linux will no longer be building boxes. Other than just any ol' PC vendor, does anyone have a recommendation?

I've used dell and compaq rackmounts and both are well supported in terms of hardware with both basic kit and their RAID arrays.
i must say i prefer the build quality of the dells but compaqs may work better out of the box with some dists. depends if you find patching kernels scary or not.
others to consider but i've not tried are penguin computing, SGi, and like you say VA.

if you have any more questions about them i can give you more detailed info on the stuff i've used. but i don't think there are many difficulties with any hardware these days.

Compaq is the work of the devil. I came to this conclusion through my own experience, and far too many people I talk to agree. I do have one Compaq server running Red Hat now, however, and it works fine.

Dell's, IMO, are far better. They're customer support is awful, but the computers are pretty darned good. Yup, I have Dell servers too. You can even buy Dells with Red Hat installed. Crazy.

I'm sold on IBMs, now. Every IBM i've bought, worked on, and/or used has been amazing. Just perfect. My IBM linux servers are my favorite. I have all three manufacturers' servers in a production environment, and I say to go with IBM.

-Andre

If you want a "major brand" to make a CIO feel warm and fuzzy stick with Dell, they are hands down the best for Linux of the "PC" vendors...

Now I have also had good experiences with penguin computing, you may want to check them out...

Another thing... the old BSD guys are no longer selling FreeBSD but *are* selling hardware... sorry, no URL, but shiould be pretty easy to track down on google ;)

-john

I've just used A.N.Other PCs. The thing to make sure is that the hardware is just a step or two behind the cutting edge, otherwise the community hasn't had chance to write drivers, etc.
Of course a home build won't have that SLA behind it which makes your boss feel safe. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back