Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

recommend inexpensive payment processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theotrain

Programmer
Mar 5, 2003
MX
i need to put up a store. i have a coldfusion-based shopping cart and need to wrangle the merchant account/payment processor/ssl nonsense.

for hosting i'm looking at jodohost.com. they are crazy cheap and include cf support and a shared SSL. (im not sure what that means, how to implement it or how to sort of "turn it on"... can you just use 'https:' and the server knows what to do?)

any advice on good, reasonably priced services for the stuff i need would be appreciated. Im going to need a professional-looking setup though, no checkout pages hosted by somebody else and no paypal-esque schemes. anyone who's done this, please speak... you must know more than me.

thanks!

Two things..

for hosting i'm looking at jodohost.com. they are crazy cheap

When buying cheap cf, you get cheap cf... expect problems and errors and the like.

For shared hosting (you don't need a dedicated server), I recommend nextmill.net.. They're a host that's I've known for years.. and the people have remained the same, so they've got a staff that works good. If you sign with them, there's a spot for referral... might list faithlikesteel.com as the referer? (personal project...)

Really though, starting from the ground up, there's a great php app that's free ( that works well with all sorts of payment gateways.. because, like most php apps... lots of programmers are donating code.

ALFII.com
---------------------
If this post answered or helped to answer your question, please reply with such so that forum members with a similar question will know to use this advice.

Look into PayPal, they even provide code to connect to their own Shopping Cart(for multi-item sales) or A BUY button for single purchase items.

If you don't process thousands of sales each day or month they are a reasonable way to get started.

Re: JodoHost.com

I have a couple projects on Jodohost.com and I cannot say they don't have problems but issues get resolved reletively quickly. The biggest issue I have seen is that they were running CF and ASP.net on the same servers and it appears(from what they are saying) "bad ASP.net coding from a website app is causing some problems with memory leaks". They have a CF server now without ASP and I have not had any problems on that server(even through the hurricane season and thier servers located in Florida, only a few minor outages that I didn't notice).

HSphere control panel can create CF DSN records, Automatic Oscommerce and phpBB setup, MySQL,MS SQL, Postrge and much more.

Nextmill.net actually seems pretty similar. Might have to try them for next few projects.

I have also used Anumina.com. Not Cheap but has been performing well on a MS SQL intensive site.

xtendscott
Web Site Design and CF Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back