Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recommend Backup Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeRoMaX

Technical User
Dec 11, 2001
CA
Hi,

I was wondering what is a good backup software I can use for exchange 2k for backing up individual mail store?
This is incase my users have corrupted pst files and if their hard drive damaged and they need to get back there email.

Chris

What you appear to be looking for is a "brick level" backup. The individual .pst files do not exist on the exchange store. Utilities such as exmerge and backup products which support "brick level" backup can pull individual pst files from the exchange data store.

If you are really trying to back-up user .pst files then you will need to locate them and back them up on the client machine or network directory where they exist- they will not be in the Exchange database.

Hope this helps.

Have a look at Legato's NetWorker backup product. It backs up Exchange mailboxes quite nicely.

What I want to do is like archieve each individual's mailbox on the exchange. I know u can archieve the mailstore but its too unorganize to sort out for each individual mailbox.

Chris

Cheap but time consuming option: Use Exmerge.exe which comes with the Exchange 2000 Resource Tools to dump a PST file for each user from the Exchange Server, then use NT Backup to bang them on to tape.

More expensive options: Things like either Veritas Backup or BrightStor Arcserve with the appropriate Exchange agent which are geared up for this sort of thing. Check out the other forums for an idea of what troubles you're likely to face.

I use Brightstor Arcserve v9 and it does the biz...

Unless you have a specific need for its capabilities, I highly recommend that you avoid Legato NetWorker. It is very powerful, but it is also cludgy and unreliable. It will consume great quantities of your time for troubleshooting.

Veritas BackupExec is a nice, easy to use product. You will need to purchase the base product and the Exchange agent. While it does not have all the capabilities of NetWorker, it can do the brick level backups you want and is much easier to learn and use than NetWorker.

I've never found NetWorker to by cludgy. I'll agree that there are many options available in the configuration, and that is part of its appeal. You need to know what you're doing with NetWorker, and for that, Legato has some excellent courses.

As for unreliable, I've never been unable to restore something I've backed up with NetWorker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back