Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recombining Date and Time in a query 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomCarnahan

Programmer
Dec 7, 2002
US
I am working with tables from another application where the Date and Time data elements have been separated. Instead of the Access data type that includes both (e.g. 5/23/07 8:07 AM), the date is separated (e.g. 5/23/07) from the time (e.g. 8:07 AM) into two fields.

The existing table records events with a [DateField], a [StartTimeField] and a [EndTimeField].

The algorithm I want to use requires that they be recombined in a single field. I figured out how to do it in most cases:

[DateField] + DateValue[TimeField]

This works fine except where the [EndTimeField] passes midnight. Example:

Date: 7/10/07
Start: 6:00 pm ==> "7/10/07 6:00 PM"
End: 11:00 pm ==> "7/10/07 11:00 pm"

BUT:

Date: 7/10/07
Start: 6:00 pm ==> "7/10/07 6:00 PM"
End: 12:00 am ==> "7/10/07"

Does anyone have an idea of how to work around this?

Thanks,

--- Tom

Interesting problem. As people we can describe an 'evening shift' as being 6 (pm) till 12... perfectly logical.

Can end times actually pass midnight, eg 12:30a, or would they always end at 12 midnight?

Max Hugen
Australia

You may try this:
[DateField]+DateValue([EndTimeField])-(DateValue([EndTimeField])<DateValue([StartTimeField]))

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Another question: will you need to use the result as a Date type, or can you 'present' it as a String?

If it really needs to be an actual Date type, you might have to subtract 1 minute from a midnight time, as you can't represent a Date of "7/10/07 12:00 midnight".

However, you could present that as a string...

Max Hugen
Australia

I am using the Start (Date and Time) and the End (Date and Time) as DATES because I want to use date math to do calculations. A string would not work as well and involve a lot more overhead.

--- Tom

Ok, for Date math you'll need PHV's solution, which adds one day, so that "7/10/07 12:00 midnight" correctly becomes "7/11/07 0:00 AM".

Max Hugen
Australia

Good day sir, I had the same problem last week.

The formula I have used is; in your control window in the form design mode where you want the combining date and time to appear write this function =[date]&" "&[time]. Naturally date would equal the name you gave to that control and time the same thing.

It works simply and effeciently.

Daniel Belanger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back