Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recognizing "First" and "1st" as the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBird

Programmer
Dec 1, 2000
US
Hi, I'm a (Realia 4.2)Cobol programmer working for an insurance company. We need a away of identifying companion policies (policies with same address or name, usually owned by spouses) before we apply money to one. So, I've been told to create a Btrieve file using a phonetic code of the first address line as one of the keys. My question is this, how do you phonetically code numbers using Cobol? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Hi,

I work also with Realia 4.2. Creating a phonetic system is not easy. First you have to know how to pronounce things. It depends on where you lived and how you speak. That would mean that you will have several keys for only one entry.

On processing the stuf you want to handle phonetic, you should create aliases for every possible pronounciation. That is a lot of work, especialy if you don't have a database with standards for it.

I know that (old?)FoxPro has something like this. Perhaps you can by some kind of processing (generating all kinds of combinations) find out automaticaly how FoxPro considers phonetic sound-alike text and put that into your own database...

An other solution would be giving your user the possibility to enter sound information into the system like language experts do, but I don't have those users in my organization.

Let us hear what you are going to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back