Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Recipient Filtering doesn't work? (Exchange 2003)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexandrosG

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2007
GR
Hi, everyone!

I am using Win2003 with Exchange 2003.

I have enabled Recipient Filtering and "Filter Recipients who are not in the directory". If i am not wrong, when you enable this feature, NDRs (for users who are not in A.D) are generated by the sender's server. But when i look into the Queue folder i can still see NDRs for users that are not in my directory!

Why?

Maybe you had a big backlog of BDRs still being delivered from before you enabled Recipient Filtering?

Or maybe you haven't configured it correctly. You can test it by making an SMTP connection manually using telnet, and supplying an incorrect To address and see what happenens to the connection.

can help in doing the manual telnet if you've never done it before.

zbnet said:
Maybe you had a big backlog of BDRs still being delivered from before you enabled Recipient Filtering?

Recipient Filtering is enabled long ago.

zbnet said:
Or maybe you haven't configured it correctly.

I think there are only 2 steps for this feature:
a) ESM->Global Settings->Message Delivery->Recipient Filtering
b) ESM->...->Protocols->SMTP->Default SMTP Virtual Server-> Properties->General->Advanced->Edit->Apply Recipient Filter

What else remains to configure it wrong?

zbnet said:
You can test it by making an SMTP connection manually using telnet, and supplying an incorrect To address and see what happenens to the connection.

I tried to send an e-mail to an imaginary user using telnet and there was no filtering! Mail was sent! (I found it through ESM->...->Queues->Fing Messages...) Although, mail was sent, no NDR came back to the sender! I feel i little confused about what is happening here. But seems that Directory filtering doesn't work (otherwise the telnet smtp connection should have been dropped after the RCPT TO command. (granted that recipient was not in Directory) Am i right?

* A "Delivery Status Notification (Delay)" came back for my telnet-mail. After a while the mail dropped (it is not on the queue,anymore). Nothing else came back.

At last a "Delivery Status Notification(Failure)" came back for my telnet-mail!

So,once more, i think that Directory Filtering doesn't work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back