Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Receptionist Phone - Ring Elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

adminkirk

Technical User
Sep 10, 2008
US
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good solution to handle our main telephone number/receptionist.

We have a dedicated receptionist, but occasionally she has to get up to do something/has vacation/gets lunch/etc and can't man the phone.

Until now, she has been forwarding her phone to another employee, but the same story goes where that employee might get up and leave or be on the phone.

I'm looking for a good way to remedy this, perhaps by ringing her phone a few times, then another employees, and then another, etc.

One solution I've thought of so far was creating a receptionist skillset, adding a bunch of agents, and setting the priorities accordingly.

Does that sound ideal or are there any tricks you guys know about?

Thanks!

We have a BCM400 with 4.0 software and 1140e VOIP phones. Where would I configure this hunt group and can you explain how it works?

Login to Element Manager and go to the Telephony tab. Open it up and then select the Hunt Groups button. Select a spare hunt group and enter in the extensions that you require to ring. This can be all at once or set to ring one by one in the order selected.

Finally, go to sets and find your receptionist phone and program in the forward no answer to the hunt group, or just use the Call forward option.

I hope this helps?.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

Useful Nortel forum at
If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Yes it definitely does. I like the hunt group idea much better than creating a skillset for it.

So say I progrm the forward no answer to my hunt group and my hunt group consists of 4 lines:

I want it to ring one line at a time, but how many rings does each one get? As many as assigned under FWD Delay?

I found the Hunt Group section in Element Manager. So I would add the members by DN...what about Mode (Sequential, Rotary, or Broadcast) and If Busy (Queue and Busy Tone).

I'm assuming sequential is the phone call would travel down the list, rotary...maybe the same but once it reaches the last line it starts back at the beginning again, broadcast all at the same time? If busy in a queue though...what does that do?

I also saw that there is a setting for a Distinct ring which I'm assuming causes any call reaching those extensions to ring differently so the employee knows how to answer the phone?

Thanks for your help! Greatly appreciated!

The hunt delay is the number of rings between each phone and it's a drop down box for 1 to 10 rings.

Sequential will call each extension at a time. Best to leave it as Busy tone. This area is best to "play" with to get the required settings that will suit your receptionist and the hunt group members etc.

Have fun setting it up.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

Useful Nortel forum at

Broadcast - yes all sets ring

Sequential - starts at the first member of the huntgroup and works down (if the members are idle), soon as the first member is idle it starts at their set again....so sometimes your bottom members maybe never recieve a call.
So if you want one person to be your main backup reception and a couple others as their backup then use this mode.

Rotary - yes in order for full distribution.

Note to if you want the calls to end up in General Delivery mailbox then set your Overflow setting to voice mails DN.

Also the manual states do NOT have lines assigned on sets that are in the Hunt Group....if you use Park and Page then no biggie, but DO assign lines to the Hunt Group in HG programming.

Best to read the System Coordinator Guide as there is a few other items that can effect HG's.

HG's can be programmed to Ring Only (intercom) or Appear and Ring (on a key).

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Excellent, it's clear that hunt groups are the way to go. Now that I understand them and what they do, I might use them as backups to some of our skillsets as well.

Thanks all for your help!

I have a problem where someone calls into the main number and if receptionist is on a call it is transfered to the conference room. I don't see where there is a call forward busy or don't answer on her phone. I am well versed on a Definity PBX but not this Nortel BCMS50. Please advise. Thanks!

Mike

Login to Element Manager and go to the Telephony tab. Select sets & then active sets. Look for your extension and highlight the line.

There is a tab Line Access (first tab). Go along the line until you see the column Fwd No Answer & also Fwd Busy. This is where you make the changes.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler

Useful Nortel forum at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back